Monday, April 4, 2011

Personal Study Time



I'm currently studying ancient church history for my seminary class right now. On the one hand, I'm very excited to be done with school work (including this class), for it adds so much time and energy to my days. However, on the other hand, it has been a terrific source of learning and development in my life. Personal study time has proved to be insanely influential in my faith and development of my ability to teach and lead others. This specific study happens to be through a seminary, but I hope and pray that when my seminary studies are done (June 4th graduation, baby!), that I'll continue to push myself and devote large amounts of time to learning and growing in my understanding of all the things God calls me to, from Church History, to theological issues, to leadership and how to best structure the things God is giving me stewardship of.

All this to say that personal study time is just so important to not stick in whenever you have time. Rather, it should be as disciplined a practice as an athlete exercises or as a medical practitioner stays current with developments in medicine (shout-out to the rest of my immediate family).
Furthermore, every Christian should be doing this, no matter what vocation they might find themselves in, reading and learning from those who surpass us is incredibly important in personal growth.

So, that is what I have been doing for the past 7 hours or so, minus a bit of time to interact with the locals...such as this handsome devil across from me, Mr. Isaac Randall...an "almost-graduated-graduate", who has been involved in Equip for a few years now, and is interviewing for various jobs right now. He will also be spending the night on my couch, as he does a couple times a week right now, finishing up school.

No comments:

Post a Comment