Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Quibidy, Quabidy...Equality!

If you pick up on my reference in that title, then congrats, you have as much useless TV knowledge in your head as I do. :)

God gave me the (somewhat rare) privilege of having a 'random' student walk up to me in the Union today and share with me (quite emphatically) just how helpful, challenging and eye-opening the message last week at large group was for her.  We spoke for 10-15 minutes about it and related things, and then she left.

I call it a privilege, but I suppose it's closer to simply a means of grace to encourage me, and I'm quite thankful for it.  I don't believe that missionaries or pastors or any sort of 'minister of the gospel' should base their encouragement or perseverance upon these sorts of things, but they certainly aren't worthless and God sees fit to grant them to me from time to time.

If you're curious, this particular 'series' that I'm in we are calling "Twisted".  It's basically just the Doctrine of Creation and Doctrine of the Fall, the clear biblical truth that "God has made all things good" and that sin is the distortion (twisting) of that which was created good.  So, taking this truth and merely applying it to what we hope is some of the most pertinent and important areas of life: "Equality" and "Marriage" to name a couple.  Tomorrow night is marriage, equality was last week.  Here is C.S. Lewis, in this fictitious conversation of two demons to one-another to illustrate this biblical point:
“Never forget that when we are dealing with any pleasure in its healthy and normal and satisfying form, we are, in a sense, on the Enemy’s [God’s] ground. I know we have won many a soul through pleasure. All the same, it is His [God’s] invention, not ours. He made the pleasures: all our research so far has not enabled us to produce one. All we can do is to encourage the human to take the pleasure which our Enemy [God] has produced, at times, or in ways, or in degrees, which He has forbidden. Hence we always try to work away from the natural condition of any pleasure to that in which it is least natural, least redolent of its Maker, and least pleasurable. An ever increasing craving for an ever diminishing pleasure is the formula. It is more certain; and it’s better style. To get the man’s souls and give him nothing in return — that is what really gladdens Our Father’s [Satan’s] Heart.
That is the demonic view, and I think Lewis has it right.  If you're interested in the message on Equality, let me know and I can get you some stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment